Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:20:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@...il.com>
Subject: Re:  Re: CVE id request: php5

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Joe Orton wrote:

> If the script is taking untrusted input data and passing it unsanitized
> as the "key" argument to a dba_replace() call, it can override arbitrary
> keys in the ini file anyway.  Truncating the ini file to zero length
> seems like a less severe problem than being able to write (arbitrary?)
> data to arbitrary keys.

We don't have any formal criteria for this kind of thing, but in general,
we ask whether there are realistic scenarios under which an attack can
succeed, and if any additional privileges are gained versus normal
methods.  These questions are particularly applicable to language
interpreters and compilers.  Given this scenario, it seems unrealistic
that an app would perform a dba_replace() with user-controlled input - and
if it does, then it's a vuln in the application, not PHP itself.  So it
doesn't seem to require a CVE.

- Steve