Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:02:31 +0100
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: fw@...eb.enyo.de, coley@...us.mitre.org
Subject: Re: CVE request -- git

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:57:03 +0100 Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de>
wrote:

> Nerver mind, Novell used CVE-2008-5517 for this.

No, they have not.  They fixed both -5516 (git_search) and -5517
(git_snapshot and git_object) issues using quote_command() (in their
git-1.5.2.4-24.4.src.rpm).  No idea why only one of the CVEs was
mentioned in the security report...  They don't seem to include any
patch for diff.external issue, or claim to have fixed it.

So -5517 is now really used to refer to two different issues...

> (the CVE description is somewhat misleading, I think):

With little further details in SuSE security report, I think the
description is quite appropriate - unspecified remote hole related to
shell metacharacters.  Adding the two repo.or.cz links was most likely
a guess, not a good one though.

Mitre was notified about this inconsistency in the -5517 description
and references.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team