Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:41:06 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...re.org>

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Kees Cook wrote:

> I'd like to get a CVE assigned for the RSS subscription DoS mentioned
> here[1].  It seems that CUPS upstream already fixed[2] the issue[3] in
> their 1.3.8 release.  Prior to 1.3.8, the server can be made to crash
> when visiting a malicious website due to CUPS general CSRF issues.

I treated this as two CVEs, one for the CSRF-simplifying attack, and a
separate one for the CUPS server crash (assuming that cupsd should not be
crashable by non-root authenticated users).

- Steve

cupsd in CUPS before 1.3.8 allows local users, and possibly remote
attackers, to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) by adding a
large number of RSS Subscriptions, which triggers a NULL pointer
dereference.  NOTE: this issue can be triggered remotely by leveraging
CVE-2008-5184.