Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:02:21 +0100
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: coley@...us.mitre.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2008-4619 / milw0rm6775

Hi Steven!

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:18:36 -0400 (EDT) "Steven M. Christey"
<coley@...us.mitre.org> wrote:

> > Looks like this is a dupe of CVE-2007-0165 after all...
> >
> >   http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/21964/
> >   http://secunia.com/advisories/23700/
> >   http://secunia.com/advisories/32403/
>
> Nothing against these sources but in general CVE wants a solid "logic
> chain" between 2 descriptions before declaring a dupe.  In this case
> CVE-2007-0165 is anchored on a very vague description from Sun about
> something in libnsl.  CVE-2008-4619 is quite specific.  Just because
> it's the same rpcbind service is insufficient as we all know that the
> same package can contain multiple security bugs.

Sorry for not choosing word properly here.  I probably should have used
"looks like this *may* be a dupe of...".  My reasoning for calling it
dupe was that CVE-2007-0165 links BID-21964, which has the same exploit
attached as is available on milw0rm as 6775.  It's not clear when
exploit code was added to the BID, though.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team