Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:05:57 +0100
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@...hat.com>
To: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, coley@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE Request (xen)

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:17:44PM -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> We wrote this up as a libvirt issue, but is it really a Xen issue?

At its core it is a Xen permissions issue, because the host was not
protecting data it mainers from guest modification. This permissions
problem impacted Xen tools themselves, and any other application
which made use of xenstore - of which libvirt was one. The original
proposed fix to Xen would require changes in both Xen and libvirt
to fully resolve. The Xen developers eventually worked out a fix
that directly addresses all users, so there is no longer any need
for libvirt to be fixed. It is sufficient to apply the Xen permisions
fixes, so I'd class this as primarily a Xen issue.

Regards,
Daniel