Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:53:21 +0200
From: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>
To: coley@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request (gpicview)

Hello Steve,

  On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 10:19 -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Are there common usage scenarios under which gpicview would receive the
> filename to create from some external source, say, as a web browser
> plugin?
>
> I'm asking because the missing "ask_before_save" issues only seem like
> non-security bugs - the user messing him/herself up - unless the target
> file can be influenced by an external attacker.

I can't see any possibility, how the last two issues could be used by
an external attacker to destroy the targeted user image files
(when not considering the attack possible via CVE-2008-3791).

> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2019481&group_id=180858&atid=894869
> >
> > Possible symlink attack via the temporary created "/tmp/rot.jpg"
> > file used for image rotation.
>
> Use CVE-2008-3791
>
> > 2, http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2019485&group_id=180858&atid=894869
> > 3, > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2019492&group_id=180858&atid=894869

> These two might need a second CVE depending on the influence over the file
> that "ask_before_save" would ask about.

These two rather normal bugs, than a security issues.

Thank you for checking!

Regards
Jan iankko Lieskovsky
RH Security Response Team