Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:57:20 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id request: mktemp

Hi Todd,
* Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@...rtesan.com> [2008-08-18 13:54]:
> In message <20080818085956.GB29717@...e.de>
> 	so spake Sebastian Krahmer (krahmer):
>
> > BTW, mktemp(1) is using O_EXCL anyway, so I dont see
> > an issue. Additionally all of our scripts use
> > more than 6 X' as also shown in the
> > example section of the manpage. We are not going to
> > release updates for this non-issue.
>
> I don't think it is a security issue either.  Vendors can also just
> configure mktemp with the --with-libc flag to use the libc
> mkstemp()/mkdtemp() functions instead of the bundled version if
> they prefer.

I disagree because mktemp offers the functionality of just
creating the file name and instantly unlinking it thus only
providing the generation of a random name. While I don't
think that many scripts rely on this it can be the case.

--with-libc is not used by some vendors because it limits
the template used for the file name. mktemp from coreutils
should be a better choice any way...

Cheers
Nico
--