Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:45:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: coley@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE request: php-5.2.6 overflow issues

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Christian Hoffmann wrote:

> two security issues, which might possibly allow for arbitrary code
> execution (afaik nobody has analyzed the details...), but at least DoS
> (think of FastCGI setups), were silently fixed in PHP again:
>
>    * Overflow in ext/gd's imageloadfont() function [1] [2] [3]

Use CVE-2008-3658, to be filled in later - I'm assuming this is a distinct
component that doesn't just affect PHP.

>    * Overflow in php's internal memnstr() function which is exposed
>      to userspace as "explode()" [1] [2] [4] [5]

Use CVE-2008-3659.

For the FastCGI "foo..php" issue, use CVE-2008-3660.

These will be filled in later.

> As those functions might take user-supplied data in certain webapps
> (which is a valid use case at least in case of explode()), those issues
> should probably expected to be remotely exploitable.

We use the term "context-dependent" to cover cases where the reachability
and remote/local nature of the issue can vary widely, depending on how the
product is used.  This term typically applies to libraries or interpreters
that are used by third-party applications.

- Steve