Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:53:14 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE id request: openttd

Hi,
Can I get a CVE id for the following security issues fixed
in openttd 6.2?

"OpenTTD servers of version 0.6.1 and below are susceptible to a remotely
exploitable buffer overflow when the server is filled with companies and
clients with names that are (near) the maximum allowed length for names.
In the worst case OpenTTD will write the following (mostly remotely
changable bytes) into 1460 bytes of malloc-ed memory:
up to 11 times (amount of players) 118 bytes
up to 8 times (amount of companies) 124 bytes
and 7 "header" bytes
Resulting in up to 2297 bytes being written in 1460 bytes of malloc-ed
memory. This makes it possible to remotely crash the game or change the
gamestate into an unrecoverable state.  "

This is Debian bug #493714.

I didn't yet have the time to check the diff between the versions.

Kind regards
Nico

--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@...ber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF