Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:12:01 +0100
From: Steve Kemp <steve@...ve.org.uk>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: code reviews (was: ARP handler Inspection tool
	released)

On Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 18:10:53 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

> I feel that it'd be nice if a list existed where one could ask for some
> source code to be reviewed - and get useful feedback.  We had the
> security-audit list in late 1990s that kind of worked like that;

> Do we have people like the security-audit activists of late 1990s in
> here?  (I know that some of the same people are in fact in here, but I'm
> sure that they have changed - similarly to the way I have changed.  So I
> mean people "like" those who were active on security-audit at the time
> and who are in this shape now.)

  I setup the Debian security audit project with the intention that
 people would volunteer to do this.  I guess I found 20-50 issues of
 pretty low severity in my stint, and had hoped to find more.

  The specific problem at the time the audit was started was that
 very few people had the time, the skills, and the motivation to
 join in and help.

  Optimistically if there were people volunteering here I'd be willing
 to spend more of my time on that kind of work myself.  Pessimistically
 people find the work time-consuming and difficult.  Without a few big
 holes found early on many many people lose interest.

  (Me personally I found my time was taken up with other issues, and
 from memory the most prolific auditors that I managed to hook up with
 managed to get jobs in the security field and so they started auditing
 behind closed doors - at least one person told me he was no longer
 allowed to take part in public audits.  Understandable, but
 frustrating.)

> I find it highly unlikely that anyone, even
> the kind of people I mentioned above, would bother downloading a tarball
> of something they had never heard of to do a security audit of it -
> unless this is paid work.

  Indeed.

  My initial aim was to divide the Debian archive into "high" and "low"
 risk packages and then only look at the high-risk ones.  (Where
 high-risk meant setuid/setgid or network accessible.)

  Random programs that people point me at aren't terribly interesting
 *unless* I happen to use them myself! ;)

> Now, do any/all of you find my posting appropriate? ;-)

  Yes!

  One interesting recent development I was watching was the google
 audits. I know nothing of the details, but I do recall that several
 issues were reported to vendor sec with a "google audit" "ownership".

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/