Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:55:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: web archives

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:01:32PM -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> The archives as stored at
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2008/04/ etc. only list posts
> using sequence numbers.  Would it be easy to list these by subject line,
> author, and/or in a threaded basis?  I find it hard to navigate when I'm
> looking for a particular post.

There's a to-do item for the blists software that powers these archives
to store message Subjects and Froms in the index file and to display
them on index pages as well as on prev/next links.  There are some
subtle issues with implementing this, but it should be done - and your
request may speed this up.

In case anyone is curious (or would like to join the project?), the
source code for blists is now public at:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/blists

Do I understand it correctly that your request is to not only list the
subjects and authors on index pages, but also to provide versions of the
index pages with different message grouping - by subject, author, and/or
by thread?  Any suggestions on the URLs to use for these versions?

BTW, as to grouping by thread, there are already thread-prev and/or
thread-next links on messages that are detected as being part of a
thread, and the detection is based on Message-ID, In-Reply-To, and
References headers.

Jonathan, jericho, and everyone else -

As to submitting this list to more third-party archives, while I
appreciate this being done, I'd like to be given a chance to provide the
archive with past messages.  It often takes more time to get those
messages imported when the list is already submitted.  I've e-mailed
Fyodor and the Neohapsis folks now.

Thanks,

Alexander