Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:24:32 +0000
From: Steve Kemp <steve@...ve.org.uk>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: request CVE id: insecure handling of DISPLAY in
	rxvt

On Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:19:09 +0100, Tomas Hoger wrote:

> Yes, many assumptions and ifs, but still silently assuming DISPLAY=:0
> when no DISPLAY is set does not sound like a safe default.

  Agreed.

> But then  I also don't understant what you mean by "setup an fake X
> server waiting for someone loggin in..."

  This should be a matter of running 'startx' appropriately.  I was
 under the misapprehension that only root could startup X, but that
 seems not to be the case.

  Providing the host wasn't already running X then it might be possible
 for local users to launch a copy they control.

> Could you describe the attack scenario in  a bit more details?

  I'd look forward to that too.

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.