Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:24:45 -0700
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...sec.ca>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: code review CVS

* [2008-02-20 17:51:47 -0800] Kees Cook wrote:

>> I like the patch idea, however.  A "vendor patch" database of sorts
>> would be nice (would save me from hunting from, say, ubuntu packages for
>> a patch for something they already fixed, or looking at ubuntu for one,
>> and SUSE for another because of version differences).
>
>I'd really like to have at least a "how to find a patch for [distro],
>release [version]".  I have an easier time finding Debian patches,
>for example, since http://snapshot.debian.net/ exists.  Ubuntu is a
>bit less patch-hunter-friendly in that regard, but we try to alway keep
>patches external to from the source tree, so they're easy to locate from
>change logs.  Doing this with src.rpms follows a similar convention,
>but can sometimes get tricky too.  Finding them can sometimes be a chore
>-- I always bang my head when looking for RHEL src.rpms.  :)

hahah... as Mark can attest, you're not the only one.  I've had to email
him a few times looking for some obscure src.rpm.

Usually I look at vendor advisories and grab from there; Debian and
Ubuntu are the best for that although I sometimes find working with your
massive diff's a bit of a pain, but that's neither here nor there.
FWIW, yours are probably the easiest to find.

The other RPM-based distros are usually pretty easy to find.  Mandriva
also has a public svn where all our updates are committed, so standalone
patches can be found there too.

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/updates_releases/

Although that may change to just /updates/ in the future.  You'll find
everything for our currently supported products in there.

I think having a "patch page" on the wiki with this info might be useful
too... others may have repositories or other means of getting patches
without resorting to downloading diff's and src.rpm's.

And I'd *love* to see what the Gentoo folks will link to.. =)  They have
to be the biggest head-scratcher for me.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/