Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:12:38 -0700
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...sec.ca>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com

* [2008-02-19 01:32:36 +0300] Solar Designer wrote:

>> >The archive of this mailing list is now public on the web:
>> >
>> >http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/
>
>On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:17:04PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
>> Have you requested any other 3rd-party archiving sites to archive the
>> list too?
>
>Not yet.
>
>I was thinking that we should get started first, with the list and the
>wiki wide open like they are now, then decide on how we want to tighten
>things up and do it, and only after that try to gain greater exposure.

Fair enough, makes sense.

>> The reason I ask is that the archive there isn't the friendliest in
>> terms of easily scanning or viewing messages (like a mhonarc-based
>> archive or MARC or something).
>
>Yes, I am sorry about that.  This is my "blists" software that got stuck
>in an early development stage (no time), with many desirable features
>yet to be implemented.  It works off indexed mbox files, in case you're
>curious - just two files per mailing list (the mbox and its index).

Ahhh... ok, gotchya.  It's not bad, you just need to hunt around a lot
to get anything useful out of it.

>This list should definitely be submitted to Gmane and MARC, maybe to
>some others as well.  I am just not sure whether it's time to do that.

Ok.

>> Just curious if anyone has done so or if I should go ahead and do it.
>
>I think I am the one to do it since I will need to provide the mbox
>with past messages - and I am willing to do it if/when the most active
>list members (including you) request that.  Just have in mind that this
>might result in us having to turn on subscription and/or message
>moderation and disallow wiki editing by new users a bit earlier.

Ok.  So leave things open for the time being so we don't hassle the
folks that should be here from the get-go, then clamp down on things
later (in a few weeks?) and send in the requests?

I think when we "open the doors" more, we should disallow wiki editing
for new users and moderate who gets to edit, etc.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/