[next>] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 01:30:30 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: welcome

Hi,

Welcome to this new mailing list.  I took the liberty of cloning the
xvendor subscriber list because the topic we're going to discuss
initially would also be on-topic for xvendor, but discussing it on the
new list right away lets anyone opt-out of this specific discussion.

The idea behind this mailing list is not mine, but I have offered to
host it (and the associated website/wiki) on Openwall resources.

Josh, Vincent, Jonathan - would you describe how you envision this list
and the website/wiki?  Maybe start work on the initial list charter -
maybe post a draft of it right away?

Meanwhile, the following is my understanding:

In short, this is meant to become a public mailing list for discussing
Open Source Software security.  The subscribers (or posting ability?)
may (or may not?) be limited to people involved with Open Source (or
just plain open source?) projects.

This is different from vendor-sec in that subscription is not limited to
distribution vendors (rather, individual smaller projects are very
welcome to join) and that the list is public (at least archives will be
public on the web).  Any OSS project that is declined vendor-sec
membership may join this list instead.

This is different from Bugtraq in the focus on OSS and on collaboration
between OSS projects (joint development and review of security patches,
etc.), as well as maybe in that the list is to be discussion-only - no
security advisories.  A separate non-discussion mailing list may be
created for the advisories.

Josh et al. - now it's your turn. :-)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15