Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:46:38 +0100
From: Alejandro Colomar <alx@...nel.org>
To: Andreas Schwab <schwab@...ux-m68k.org>
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, musl@...ts.openwall.com,
	Guillem Jover <guillem@...rons.org>, libc-alpha@...rceware.org,
	libbsd@...ts.freedesktop.org, "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>,
	"Skyler Ferrante (RIT Student)" <sjf5462@....edu>,
	Iker Pedrosa <ipedrosa@...hat.com>,
	Christian Brauner <christian@...uner.io>
Subject: Re: Tweaking the program name for <err.h> functions

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:35:27PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 09 2024, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>
> > There's not a portable way to configure them, AFAIK.  You could say it's
> > glibc and musl's fault, for importing the err.h functions without
> > importing setprogname(3).
>
> When glibc imported err, setprogname didn't exist yet.

Thanks.  Then BSD extended the contract.  That's still a problem of musl
and glibc.  The API is deficient without setprogname(3), and should be
fixed.  I think libc should either drop err.h and let another library
take ownership of the API, or add a way to configure it, hopefully being
compatible with the BSDs.  No?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)