Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 09:25:55 +0200
From: Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt@...ia.fr>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: future of compiler wrappers

Hello Rich,

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:50:43 -0400 Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> I don't want it abandoned. That's why I'm asking and trying to gauge
> if there's interest in maintaining it separately. I agree that it
> meets some people's needs well enough and it's convenient, but I feel
> like having it as something you fetch/install separately would be
> better ux/presentation in many ways, in that it wouldn't suggest it's
> the "right" way to use musl and would ensure that users are aware
> they're using something that has limited functionality, rather than
> thinking they're hitting problems with musl.

I use musl in teaching, because it is the only variant of the C
library where I can have full standard conformance for atomics and
threads. The university system on which the students are working is
something that I have not much control of, and forcing it to allways
have the latest .dep package of musl installed was quite a challenge.

So anything that changed that situation, would make this even more
fragile. Generally, I think that are a lot of people out there that
don't completely control their developement environment. I would be
nice if withdrawing musl-gcc from musl could wait until the
replacement is a well-established package in the major distributions.

On the other hand I agree that it would probably be a good idea to
have a compiler wrapper package that is independent of musl and that
allows to combine more or less any compiler with any of the C
libraries. It is just annoying that the compiler frontends don't have
easy to use options for this in the first place.

Thanks
Jens

--
:: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS :::
:: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536   ::