Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:52:59 -0300
From: "dgutson ." <danielgutson@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: #define __MUSL__ in features.h

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> bug

> > > Absolutely not. __MUSL__ would not tell you anything about whether bug
> > > X is present. It would facilitate permanently assuming "musl has bug
> > > X" because you observed bug X on musl at one point in the past.
> > >

> > Then turn __MUSL__ a number holding the version, as in cplusplus, etc, so
> > people can do
> >
> > #if __MUSL__ < someversion
> > #endif
> >
> > and it will be clear what happens and will solve the chronology issue.
>
> This is a never-ending FAQ tarpit. Version numbers DO NOT WORK to
> indicate presence or absence of bugs, because distros will backport
> fixes. Apparently you never dealt with the hell of Redhat shipping
> "2.6.x" kernels that had all the bugfixes from late 3.x, and
> applications trying to infer stuff from the version number. DON'T DO
> THAT. If you need to know if a bug or a feature is present, TEST FOR
> IT.

OK my last comment. If you are 100% positive that there will never be a
negative number or a wraparound due to
types conversion, then I suggest to add some compiler-dependant pragma
warning disabling locally in those lines.
We cannot afford to loose static checking capabilities of a compiler
because of a very specific occurrence.
And sorry for spamming this thread.

--
Who’s got the sweetest disposition?