Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 22:28:54 +0100
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@...oden.eu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: iconv failure (ISO-2022-JP) since musl update on
 AlpineLinux

Hello Rich Felker.

Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
 |On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 08:44:32PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Rich Felker wrote:
 |>|Does the data round-trip correctly? I don't think you can expect
 |>
 |> Ok, i see what you mean, yes, musl iconv(1) can roundtrip.  But..
 |> Well...  In my cases the MUA fails to convert to ISO-2022-JP at
 |> all, because an iconv(3) error happens.  And when i instrument my
 ..
 |I think the test is just using an output buffer that's under the
 |worst-case size needed for conversion to ISO-2022-JP. The E2BIG error
 |is specified for "Input conversion stopped due to lack of space in the
 |output buffer" and is not really an error; is just means the
 |conversion stopped before reaching the end and you need to resume with
 |a new buffer for the remainder of the conversion.

That iconv(3) wrapper i had hacked into that MUA in 2014 was
indeed complete nonsense and entirely false.  Now corrected.
Thanks for answering the brain damage.
And i will adjust the tests to checksum only the headers and the
roundtrip output of the body content, thanks for pointing this
out.  Be aware you have been credited.
Ciao,

--steffen