Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 20:44:32 +0100
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@...oden.eu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: iconv failure (ISO-2022-JP) since musl update on AlpineLinux

Hi.

Rich Felker wrote:

sorry i did not get this :)

but i wrote:
 ||After updating to musl-1.1.19-r0 there i saw test failures for the
 ||MUA i maintain, namely regarding the mentioned charset.  I will
 ||attach a file to reproduce.  (Am not subscribed.)
 ||  #?0[steffen@...on steffen]$ cksum in.utf
 ||  1259742080 686 in.utf
 ||  #?0[steffen@...on steffen]$ iconv -f utf8 -t iso-2022-jp <in.utf|cksum
 ||  2184132317 536
 ||  #?0[steffen@...on steffen]$ iconv --version
 ||  iconv (GNU libiconv 1.11)
 ||..
 ||  #?0[steffen@...ex tmp]$ cksum in.utf
 ||  1259742080 686 in.utf
 ||  #?0[steffen@...ex tmp]$ iconv -f utf8 -t iso-2022-jp <in.utf|cksum
 ||  209789743 1736
 ||  #?0[steffen@...ex tmp]$ apk info --who-owns /usr/bin/iconv
 ||  /usr/bin/iconv is owned by musl-utils-1.1.19-r0

 |Does the data round-trip correctly? I don't think you can expect

Ok, i see what you mean, yes, musl iconv(1) can roundtrip.  But..
But for one the error is new (though i actually have forgotten
whether the test ever ran on a musl box or only on BSD and glibc
Linux boxes, but if i recall, it did run, and then it did succeed,
definetely), and then...

 |bitwise match between outputs of different ISO-2022-JP converters,
 |unless perhaps they both guarantee minimality, because the ISO-2022-JP
 |representation of a string is highly nonunique.
 |
 |In particular musl's to-ISO-2022-JP converter is stateless and always
 |generates shifts in/out around every non-ASCII character. Of course
 |this is highly suboptimal, but in the worst case (where the caller
 |calls iconv one character at a time) the iconv API can't do any better
 |because strings are required to end in the unshifted state, and the
 |iconv API doesn't have any method to "finalize" a conversion. This
 |implies that every time iconv returns with non-ASCII as the most
 |recent output character, it must be followed by a shift back to the
 |initial (ASCII) state.
 |
 |We could improve this in the case of batch conversions by overwriting
 |the previous shift-back-to-initial and skipping the next shift if the
 |character set of the next character to output matches the previous
 |one, but that only works within a single batch call, since iconv can't
 |write outside the buffer passed to it for the current call. This is an
 |improvement I think I want to make, since it would improve typical
 |output size a lot, but the cost is output determinism under different
 |chunking by the caller.

Well...  In my cases the MUA fails to convert to ISO-2022-JP at
all, because an iconv(3) error happens.  And when i instrument my
code like

     for(;;){
        size_t sz;

  fprintf(stderr, "iconv(3): in %lu out: %lu\n",*inbleft,*outbleft);
  fprintf(stderr, "     in<%.*s>\n",(int)*inbleft,*inb);
        sz = iconv(cd, __INBCAST(inb), inbleft, outb, outbleft);
        if(sz > 0 && !(icf & n_ICONV_IGN_NOREVERSE)){
  fprintf(stderr, "iconv(3) returned 0x%lX: %s\n",(ul_i)sz,strerror(errno));
           err = n_ERR_NOENT;
           goto jleave;
        }
        if(sz != (size_t)-1)
           break;

then i get

  #?1[steffen@...ex nail.git]$ v mae-test-behave_iconv_mbyte_base64-2
  ICONV 2
  iconv(3): in 220 out: 427
       in<シジュウカラ科(シジュウカラか、学名 Paridae)は、鳥類スズメ目の科である。シジュウカラ(四十雀)と総称されるが、狭義にはこの1種をシジュウカラと呼ぶ。

  iconv(3) returned 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF: Argument list too long
  ICONV 2 err: 2

And that is somehow ooops?  Interestingly if i call iconv(1) only
on these 220 bytes i can roundtrip that, too.  Hmmm.  ...
I thought maybe it is because of the tcc(1) compiler i use, but
i can reproduce this with AlpineLinux gcc(1), too.  I don't know.
Ciao,

--steffen