Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 16:50:44 -0200
From: Geraldo Netto <>
Subject: fread() - possible division by zero

Dear Friends,

It seems we may have the same division by zero issue on fread():

This is the original code:

size_t fread(void *restrict destv, size_t size, size_t nmemb, FILE *restrict f)
	unsigned char *dest = destv;
	size_t len = size*nmemb, l = len, k;
	if (!size) nmemb = 0;

	f->mode |= f->mode-1;

	if (f->rend - f->rpos > 0) {
		/* First exhaust the buffer. */
		k = MIN(f->rend - f->rpos, l);
		memcpy(dest, f->rpos, k);
		f->rpos += k;
		dest += k;
		l -= k;
	/* Read the remainder directly */
	for (; l; l-=k, dest+=k) {
		k = __toread(f) ? 0 : f->read(f, dest, l);
		if (k+1<=1) {
			return (len-l)/size;

	return nmemb;

It seems we need to check the variable size on return because if size is
We'll have a division by zero and a segmentation fault

I'm sending the attached patch that changes the return as follows:

return (len-l)/(size != 0 ? size : 1);

I don't know if this is the correct approach, so, feel free to
change/let me know how to fix :)
Hope it helps

Kind Regards,

Geraldo Netto
Sapere Aude => Non dvcor, dvco

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "0001-fread-avoid-possible-division-by-zero-when-size-0.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (755 bytes)