Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:04:59 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: setlocale behavior with 'missing' locales

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:02:48AM -0600, A. Wilcox wrote:
> I'd just like to further note that as of 2.55, the GLib test suite now
> fails for the same reason as Perl's (and libunistring, and coreutils,
> and libidn, and git, ...): it tries to set LC_COLLATE to en_US, it
> "succeeds", then it tries to collate and fails to get the expected result.
>
> I'm not *quite* to the point where I am going to just LD_PRELOAD a stub
> that makes setlocale always fail when running `abuild check`, but I'm
> very close.

I'm still interested in following up with the idea for solving this,
but was hoping for more input on whether it's appropriate. However
actually implementing collation table support is a separate issue from
fixing the "spurious success" of setlocale, and this breakage would
still happen if you have a "real" en_US locale installed. So figuring
out how to store collation tables in the locale data is also important
here.