Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:49:22 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Feature request: building musl in a portable way

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 05:10:20PM +0000, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> That's how we're using Musl on WebAssembly. Musl uses Linux
> syscalls, so we implement Linux syscalls to keep Musl happy.

A bit of a historical note on this: in the late 80s and 90s there was
an effort called "iBCS" to make a unified ABI for Intel-based unices.
I believe a common syscall layer was part of it. It was abandoned
after everybody realized that the Linux syscall ABI _was_, for all
practical purposes, the unified ABI they wanted.