Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 00:29:25 +0000
From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Add SOCK_STREAM support for syslog

>I suspect and seem to remember (but haven't looked at it lately) that
>SOCK_STREAM has some undesirable properties from a standpoint of
>logging and that SOCK_DGRAM is what you want if possible.

  Oh really? I would very much like to hear what those "undesirable
properties" are. AIUI, datagrams are specified as unreliable, which
is exactly what you *don't* want when logging, so it beats me why
people would ever prefer SOCK_DGRAM over SOCK_STREAM. I suspect the
answer is close to "because traditional syslogd is easier to implement
with datagrams", which I do not hold in much regard.

--
  Laurent