Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 16:57:16 +0200
From: Didier Kryn <kryn@...p3.fr>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: musl-cross-make doesn't install gcc binaries

     Hello musl fans.

     Since this is my first message to this list, let me introduce
myself. I'm a retired physicist and Linux hobyist. In 2014, I started to
build a gcc-musl toolchain to run on Debian Wheezy. It took me about two
years of try-and-fail learning because I had the ambition that my gcc
understands C, C++ *and* Ada. I started from a combination of tools from
Sabotage-Linux and Debian and finaly was able to build a gcc-4.7
toolchain statically linked against musl-1.1.5. I have now created a
full-featured development platform based on that toolchain, in a chroot.
This platform can re-build itself from sources and most applications are
static binaries.

      I have recently discovered the existence of musl-cross-make and
thought it would be a great way to upgrade my toolchain (forgetting
temporarily Ada). I downloaded it in my musl chroot. It built without
error, which is a pretty new experience for me - congratulations! But,
after make install, only binutils' binaries are installed:

/# ls /usr/pkg/x86_64-linux-musl
bin  include  lib
/# ls /usr/pkg/x86_64-linux-musl/bin
ar  as  ld  ld.bfd  nm  objcopy  objdump  ranlib  readelf  strip

     The gcc binaries seem to be in
musl-cross-make/build/local/x86_64-linux-musl/obj_toolchain/gcc (cc1,
cc1plus,  gcc-ar,  gcc-cross etc). Are these the final gcc binaries or
intermediate tools?

     Thanks.
                                 Didier