Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:04:53 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: open issues

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:34:05AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Stefan Sedich <stefan.sedich@...il.com> [2017-08-30 19:53:55 +0000]:
> > > feature request:
> > > - RES_OPTIONS support for resolv.conf options overriding
> > >   http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2017/04/30/1
> > >   related libc-alpha discussion
> > >   http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-08/msg01097.html
> >
> > - RES_OPTIONS support for resolv.conf options overriding
> >   http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2017/04/30/1
> >
> > I would love to sneak this one in if possible, has been sitting around for
> > a while and something that I want to be able to configure!
>
> did you see the libc-alpha discussion?
>
> the current recommended way to override /etc/resolv.conf is using mount
> namespace (or chroot), if user namespace is allowed for non-root users
> in the kernel then this can be done without root access.

Is there a way to do this while still having the process with the
mount namespace see its own uid as the real invoking user and not a
fake uid=0 user in the user namespace?

If not, this seems like a pretty big functionality gap. The mount
namespace approach should work decently for running tests even if it
requires a namespace with fake uid=0, but it's not very friendly to
just allowing normal users to ignore the system resolv.conf nameserver
list and choose their own.

I'm not especially opposed to RES_OPTIONS but I'd rather have a more
complete solution that allows overriding the nameservers too, since
the nameservers are the important part and options are not useful for
much.