Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 17:19:39 +0000
From: mzpqnxow <musl@...qnxow.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Subject: Re: Issues building gdbserver with musl

Which version of gdb are you using? I've found I had to patch several
versions of gdb when building gdbserver for non-x86 platforms, possibly due
to less QA testing of these "obscure" platforms on the gdb dev side.

I at least encountered issues with ARM and MIPS on some of the 6 and/or 7
branch of gdb. Patches were only about 20-30 lines max.

I'm maintaining a collection of statically linked gdbserver executables[1]
for various embedded platforms so I'd be happy to write a patch to address
the issues in gdb and send them to you and upstream if they can be fixed on
the gdb side of things. I need to add those platforms anyway so it's no
bother.

I'll take a look today to see if I can patch any errors in gdb to get a
functional build but if it's in fact a musl issue I'll have to defer.

Have you had success building the same gdbserver versions with glibc or
uClibc for the same architectures?

Adam

1.
https://github.com/mzpqnxow/embedded-toolkit/tree/master/prebuilt_static_bins/gdbserver

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:35 Khem Raj <raj.khem@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas
>

> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@...e-electrons.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are building a number of toolchains, some of them using the musl C
> > library, and are seeing that gdbserver fails to build with musl on a
> > number of architectures. We have used musl 1.1.16, i.e the latest
> > version.
> >
> > Here are the failures that we see:
> >
> >  - On SuperH:
> >

> usr/sh4-buildroot-linux-musl/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ptrace_32.h:44:8:
> error: redefinition of 'struct pt_regs'
> >
> >  - On PowerPC64 and PowerPC64le:
> >

> usr/powerpc64-buildroot-linux-musl/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ptrace.h:31:8:
> error: redefinition of 'struct pt_regs'
> >
> usr/powerpc64le-buildroot-linux-musl/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ptrace.h:31:8:
> error: redefinition of 'struct pt_regs'
> >
> >  - On PowerPC:
> >

> usr/powerpc-buildroot-linux-musl/sysroot/usr/include/asm/ptrace.h:31:8:
> error: redefinition of 'struct pt_regs'
>

> for ppe issues you can use something like
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/clean/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/gdb/gdb/0004-ppc-ptrace-Define-pt_regs-uapi_pt_regs-on-GLIBC-syst.patch
>

> >  - On Microblaze, little endian and big endian
> >

> usr/microblaze-buildroot-linux-musl/sysroot/usr/include/sys/procfs.h:30:2:
> error: unknown type name 'elf_gregset_t'
> >    error: 'Elf64_auxv_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
> >    error: 'Elf32_auxv_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
> >
> > On all those architectures, gdbserver builds fine with other C libraries.
> >
> > I had a brief look at the commits in musl since 1.1.16 and couldn't
> > spot anything that looked related.
> >
> > Are you interested in fixing those issues? If needed, I can provide an
> > easy way of reproducing those build failures.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Thomas
> > --
> > Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons