Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 14:47:20 -0700
From: Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jaydeep Patil <Jaydeep.Patil@...tec.com>
Subject: Re: microMIPS32R2 O32 port

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 09:25:35PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>> * Jaydeep Patil <Jaydeep.Patil@...tec.com> [2017-04-12 11:54:10 +0000]:
>> > Hi Rich,
>> >
>> > We can reuse existing MIPS code for microMIPS. There are places where we read from $ra must be compiled for MIPS.
>> > Please refer to https://github.com/JaydeepIMG/musl-1/tree/micromips32r2_v2 for modifications.
>> >

>> is micromips a different encoding for mips instructions
>> that works on some cpus but not others?
>
> Yes, it's something like thumb or thumb2 on arm, or the riscv
> compressed isa. What I'm not clear on is whether there are
> micromips-only cpu models that can't execute normal mips.

According to:

  https://imagination-technologies-cloudfront-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/documentation/MIPS_Architecture_microMIPS32_InstructionSet_AFP_P_MD00582_06.04.pdf

"microMIPS is also an alternative to the MIPSĀ® instruction encoding
and can be implemented in parallel or stand-alone."

"If only one ISA mode exists (either MIPS or microMIPS) then this mode
switch mechanism does not exist"