Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 06:47:57 +0000
From: Jaydeep Patil <Jaydeep.Patil@...tec.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: microMIPS32R2 O32 port

Hi Rich,

microMIPS is an Application Specific Extension (ASE) to MIPS cores. Both microMIPS and MIPS can co-exist. MIPS code can call microMIPS and vice-versa.
microMIPS is a compressed ISA and contains both 16 and 32-bit instructions for code size benefit.

microMIPS revision R2 to R5 contains branch instructions with delay slot, however microMIPS revision R6 does not contain delay slots (B changed to BC).
Assembler converts a B+NOP to BC when assembled for R6. Thus we have removed non-NOP instructions from the delay slot so that same code can be used for R6.

Regards,
Jaydeep