Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:36:50 -0600
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: Jeff King <peff@...f.net>, Andreas Schwab <schwab@...ux-m68k.org>
Cc: git@...r.kernel.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Test failures when Git is built with libpcre and grep is built
 without it

(Hi, musl developers!  Read on for some information regarding what
began as a test failure during packaging of Git 2.7.3 that appears to
be related to musl's regexp library.)

On 09/01/17 05:27, Jeff King wrote:
> Are you trying with a version of git older than v2.7.x?

We are using 2.7.3.  I will admit the version is a bit old, but it is
working on all other arches (and it took an inordinate amount of time
to spin up PowerPC - hooray for toolchain issues).

On 09/01/17 15:33, Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 02:05:44PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> You need to quote the regexp argument, see the line starting
>> with "test_must_fail" above.
>
> Oh, duh. I checked that the line in the test was quoted

Guilty of this as well.  Sorry about that.  With the proper
invocation, I receive a success:

elaine trash directory.t7810-grep # git grep -G -F -P -E
"a\x{2b}b\x{2a}c" ab
error: cannot run less: No such file or directory
ab:a+b*c
elaine trash directory.t7810-grep # echo $?
0

Haven't managed to build less(1) for PowerPC yet, but it does seem to
work when quoted.  Yikes!

> The problem is that we are expecting the regex "\x{2b}" to complain
> in regcomp() (as an ERE), but it doesn't. And that probably _is_
> related to musl, which is providing the libc regex (I know this
> looks like a pcre test, but it's checking that "-P -E" overrides
> the pcre option with "-E").
>
> I'm not sure if musl is wrong for failing to complain about a
> bogus regex. Generally making something that would break into
> something that works is an OK way to extend the standard. So our
> test is at fault for assuming that the regex will fail. I guess
> we'd need to find some more exotic syntax that pcre supports, but
> that ERE doesn't. Maybe "(?:)" or something.
>
> -Peff

I am cc:ing in the musl development list to see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for the help so far; I really appreciate it.  Hopefully we can
resolve this in a way that makes musl and Git's test suite both more
correct, if necessary.

Happy new year!

- --arw

- --