Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 19:15:35 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl new-year's infrastructure resolutions

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 11:58:32AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> My experiences with github have been a constant fight with the tools
> rather than having them make things go more smoothly. I don't like the
> weight of the web ui (it's very slow on all systems I access it on), I
> don't like that it doesn't work properly from mobile browsers (e.g.
> line-number links to source files don't work), I don't like how much
> you have to click through to get to the history of a given file or to
> get a link to a specific version, I don't like that it's impossible to
> review large diffs in the web ui (they just timeout loading), etc. I
> also don't like everything they do to make it hard to use FF pulls.

I am no GitHub expert (am not even much of a user), and based on my
(very limited) experience with it so far I agree with your criticism of
it, but FWIW I recently found that "to get a link to a specific version"
you simply need to press "y":

https://help.github.com/articles/getting-permanent-links-to-files/

"When viewing a file on GitHub, you can press the "y" key to update the
URL to a permalink to the exact version of the file you see."

and I actually made use of this on a few occasions already.  There are
other keyboard shortcuts as well.  As the page above says:

"Tip: Press "?" on any page in GitHub to see all available keyboard
shortcuts."

Alexander