Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 12:06:20 -0800
From: Kurt H Maier <khm@....org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl new-year's infrastructure resolutions

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 02:16:24PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> JIRA is everything I dislike about github's UI, but far worse, at
> least from my experience using it on Atlassian/bitbucket. So it's
> pretty much out of the question.

I've administered JIRA; it is a bureaucratic nightmare that requires a
full-time person to manage its insane workflows.  But I tried not to let
my personal feelings leak into the summary.  I am glad to hear it is
Ruled Out.

> Mantis doesn't seem so bad as a user but I have no idea how bad it is
> under the hood. Redmine looks kinda nice and Alpine uses it.

Redmine is a very typical Ruby on Rails application.  It works as
advertised but requires familiarity with that ecosystem to install and
operate.  Mantis is a php application with all of the typical travails
of php.

> Re: OAuth and OpenID, I get the impression that OpenID is dead, so
> support for it probably isn't useful. At least Google and likely other
> providers have dropped it, right?

OpenID as we knew it is dead; it has been and/or is being replaced with
a successor called 'OpenID Connect' which works almost nothing like
OpenID used to.  It's a regrettable branding collision, but it at least
adds proper authentication to OAuth2, which really only gets
authorization right.

In my personal opinion, nobody's got any of this stuff "right" yet.  RT
and Bugzilla work around it by either relying entirely on email
address as identity or by having a siloed inbuilt id/password combo.

khm