Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 23:23:54 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cortex-m support?

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 01:10:11PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 07:16 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:55:56PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> >> Not sure where you get the relevant gcc patch...
> >
> > I have links to the repos somewhere; the problem is that they're
> > forked from a fairly old gcc version (although not nearly as bad as
> > sh-fdpic; I think it's 4.8 or so)
>
> https://github.com/mickael-guene/gcc has a 5.2 branch and "master"
> updated 20 hours ago, although I'm not sure how much of master updating
> is an automatic tracking branch and how much is the account owner
> updating things.

Those don't seem to have the fdpic work; the fdpic work is in branch
gcc-linaro-4.7-2013.05-cec-fdpic. The 5.2.0 branch is nothing but the
entire 5.2.0 source tree as a single git commit.

This isn't a show-stopper, but it does mean this is all still based on
ancient gcc, and we need someone to add gcc 4.7 support to mcm (i.e.
backport the musl patches to 4.7), and to work out whether the fdpic
patches apply cleanly on 4.7 or depend on all sorts of other linaro
changes, before this can more forward much.

On the bright side, the musl-side changes for supporting cortex-m (not
fdpic, just normal elf binaries that should run on nommu) are mostly
done. I can probably get you a hello world program you can run as
init= on a nommu arm kernel to see if it actually works.