Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 17:41:21 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ldd not working on ET_EXEC executables

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 04:30:42PM -0600, Laine Gholson wrote:
> You mean RANDMMAP? PaX's RANDMMAP feature ignoring the address your requesting it (without MAP_FIXED) is perfectly valid, to quote POSIX:
> "When MAP_FIXED is not set, the implementation uses addr in an implementation-defined manner to arrive at pa."
> mmap2(0x10000, 73728, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0x1234abcd

It's _valid_, but it's a bad implementation choice; it makes it
impossible to request a particular range, which is necessary for
ldso/ldd to load non-PIE programs.

> You're not passing MAP_FIXED to mmap() but are expecting the kernel to still use the address you're giving it, which is wrong.
> (as a side note, glibc works and it uses MAP_FIXED)

This is invalid, and a bug in glibc, as there's no way to know that
you're not mapping over something that's already there (perhaps even
the function that's calling mmap). You can only use MAP_FIXED to map
over top of an existing mapping you already know about and intend to
replace (same with dup2 and file descriptors), not an arbitrary
address range.

Rich