Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 09:10:02 +0000
From: "Laurent Bercot" <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How and which Linux kernel headers are used for musl-cross-make

>I like to know what musl-cross-make uses for linux kernel headers.
>Making out from source code it appears it uses the plain linux kernel
>headers from vanilla linux kernel. Or does it use sabotage modified
>kernel headers? Please clarify the situation. Also if one has to
>install from linux source please give the steps needed to do it
>manually.

  musl-cross-make doesn't use kernel headers itself. You can define
LINUX_VER as the empty variable, and it will still work, and produce a
toolchain that does not include kernel headers.

  When you set LINUX_VER to a kernel version, it simply extracts the
headers for that kernel version from the vanilla kernel and installs
them
along with the libc's headers. This helps have an operational toolchain
that is, for instance, able to compile busybox right away.

  You don't need to fetch the kernel sources yourself, musl-cross-make
will automatically do it if you give it a proper LINUX_VER. But again,
it is not mandatory. You can set LINUX_VER empty and install your own
kernel headers independently from musl-cross-make if you so wish.

--
  Laurent