Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 23:39:02 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: kernel header compatibility

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 08:28:32PM -0500, Felix Janda wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:

> > > Strangely gcc-6.2.0 just warns (and the warning is not displayed when
> > > it is in system headers).

> > > Note that for the actually installed kernel headers the "_UAPI" prefix
> > > is stripped from the include guard. For example "_UAPI__LINUX_KEYBOARD"
> > > becomes "__LINUX_KEYBOARD".
> > >
> > > Second, defining the include guard in <netinet/in.h> would prevent
> > > <linux/libc-compat.h> from defining __UAPI_* constants for things
> > > actually missing from musl. For example, a recent <linux/ipx.h> would
> > > no longer define struct sockaddr_ipx when included after
> > > <netinet/in.h>.
> >
> > Uhg. So there's really no fix except for the kernel to put #ifndef
> > around its definitions of individual macros, is there?
>
> I just noticed that glibc does not have #if !__UAPI_DEF_FOO guards
> despite the suggestions in <linux/libc-compat.h>. So they also don't
> seem to bother with making inclusion of libc headers after kernel
> headers safe.

No, they do it some other way, looking for the kernel headers'
inclusion guards. See for example sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/in.h.

> Because of this (no need to coordinate with glibc), it might be
> possible to fix the kernel to use the __UAPI macros in the opposite way
> (have a __UAPI_NODEF_FOO instead of __UAPI_DEF_FOO.) Then it would be
> possible to remove the #if !defined(GLIBC) case in
> <linux/libc-compat.h>.

I would try to avoid changing existing "stable" interfaces; that seems
unnecessarily controversial. Just

#ifndef __UAPI_DEF_FOO
#define __UAPI_DEF_FOO 1
#endif

for each FOO should work okay.

> > Would you be willing to propose such a patch? I'd ack it.
>
> Yes. (I would sent to linux-devel@...r.kernel.org, and CC David Miller
> and the musl list.)

OK. Thanks!