Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:30:58 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Header conformance/improvements

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 06:44:14PM -0400, Daniel Sabogal wrote:
> Here's a list of observations from musl's headers.
>
> namespace/feature testing
> -------------------------
> dirent.h:36-7: (seek|tell)dir - XSI
> grp.h:32-4: (get|end|set)grent - XSI
> pwd.h:30-2: (set|end|get)pwent - XSI

Fixing.

> stdlib.h:103: mkostemp - GNU

POSIX-future, so no change.

> sys/stat.h:82,85: mknod[at] - XSI

Fixing.

> sys/time.h:13-29: sys/time.h - XSI header

Not sure what you mean here. If the whole header is XSI there's no
obligation to check FTMs; a conforming non-XSI program doesn't include
it.

> time.h:121: tzname - base, not XSI
> unistd.h:113,116: setre(uid|gid) - XSI

Fixing.

> wchar.h:70: wcswcs - issue 6 XSI and wcs[a-z], but removed

Leaving it alone for now since it's in a reserved namespace, but we
can revisit this desired.

> misc
> ----
> stdlib.h:155-8:
> glibc provides locale_t under _GNU_SOURCE. maybe it should
> be provided and used in place of struct __locale_struct.

Do you have in mind a scenario where this would be useful, i.e. where
you might need locale_t to be defined but not have included another
header that defines it?

> string.h:88:
> gcc generates an implicit-function-declaration warning from alloca
> when using strdupa. aside: glibc also provides strndupa.

We discussed making this definition depend on __GNUC__ and then it
could use __builtin_alloca and GCC extensions needed to make strndupa
work. There might be an old patch floating around to do something like
that.

> parameter names
> ---------------
> grp.h:37: stream