Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 12:44:37 +0200 (CEST)
From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@....de>
To: James B <jamesbond3142@...il.com>
cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,
    Jeff King <peff@...f.net>, git@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Re: Regression: git no longer works with musl libc's
 regex impl

Hi James,

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, James B wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:41:50 +0200 (CEST)
> Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@....de> wrote:
>
> It's a very sad day for a tool that was developed originally to maintain
> Linux kernel, by the Linux kernel author, now is restricted to avoid
> use/optimise on Linux/POSIX features *because* it has to run on another
> Windows ...

Please note that this thread started because Git tried to shed the
restrictions of POSIX by using REG_STARTEND. In other words, we tried very
much *not* to be restricted.

And pragmatically, I must add that the REG_STARTEND feature is a very,
very useful one.

If you want to turn your sadness into something productive (you will allow
me that little prod after all you said in your mail), why don't you
dig back through the Git mailing list, fish out my original patch that
fell back to the "malloc();memcpy();/*add NUL*/" strategy, and contribute
that as a patch to the Git project, making a case that musl requires it?

Ciao,
Johannes