Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 01:50:23 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Model specific optimizations?

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 06:56:15AM +0200, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 02:13:36PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 07:08:01PM +0200, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> > > [...]
> > On Linux it's supposed to be the kernel which detects availability of
> > features (either by feature-specific cpu flags or translating a model
> > to flags) but I don't see anything for fsqrt on ppc. :-( How/why did
> > they botch this?
> >

> Maybe it's a new extension? I only know version 2.2 of the PowerPC Book.
>
> Or maybe it goes back to the single core thing. (Only the 970 supports
> it, and that's pretty new.) Or maybe Linux kernel developers aren't
> interested in this problem, because a manual sqrt exists, and if need
> be, anyone can just implement the Babylonian method for speed. On PPC,
> it can be implemented in a loop consisting of four instructions, namely:
>
> ; .rodata
> half: .double 0.5
> ; assuming positive finite argument
> ; if that can't be assumed, go through memory to inspect argument
> fmr 1, 0    ; yes, halving the exponent would be a better estimate
> ; requires going through memory, though
> lfd 2, half(13)
> li 0, 6 ;or more for more accurcy
> mtctr 0
>
> 1:  ; fr0 = x, fr1 = a
>     fdiv 3, 1, 0    ; fr3 = a/x
>     fadd 3, 3, 0    ; fr3 = x + a/x
>     fmul 0, 3, 2    ; fr0 = 0.5(x + a/x)
>     bdnz 1b
>
> So maybe there wasn't a lot of need for the hardware sqrt.

I don't think this works at all. sqrt() is required to be
correctly-rounded; that's the whole reason sqrt.c is costly.

> > > Well, yes, I was just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. We
> > > could also move the function pointer dispatch into a pthread_once block
> > > or something. I don't know if any caches need to be cleared then or not.
> >
> > pthread_once/call_once would be the nice clean abstraction to use, but
> > it's mildly to considerably more expensive, currently involving a full
> > barrier. There's a nice technical report on how that can be eliminated
> > but it requires TLS, which is also expensive on some archs. In cases
> > like this where there's no state other than the function pointer,
> > relaxed atomics can simply be used on the reading end and then they're
> > always fast.
>
> Hmmm... not on PPC, though. TLS on Linux PPC just uses r2 as TLS
> pointer. So the entire thing could be used almost as-is by making sqrtfn
> thread-local?

Yes and no. Not in musl because we don't use _Thread_local; it would
require allocating space in the thread structure which is not
appropriate for something like this. The right and most efficient
solution is the one I described above.