Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:52:44 -0700
From: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@...aro.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Model specific optimizations?

On 29/09/2016 11:13, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 07:08:01PM +0200, Markus Wichmann wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:23:54AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
>>> What kind of version-checking? Not all systems even give you a way to
>>> version-check.
>>
>> To the extent that they don't, they also don't give you a way to check
>> for features (again, except for executing the instructions and seeing if
>> you get SIGILL). PowerPC (sorry, but that's where I spent a lot of time
>> on recently) for instance only has the PVR (Processor Version Register).
>> No software I could find online uses another way to detect the features
>> of the CPU.
>>
>> And for systems to not give you a way of detecting system version at
>> runtime and then define optional parts of the ISA would be very dickish,
>> in my opinion. That basically guarentees optional functions won't be
>> used at all.
>
> On Linux it's supposed to be the kernel which detects availability of
> features (either by feature-specific cpu flags or translating a model
> to flags) but I don't see anything for fsqrt on ppc. :-( How/why did
> they botch this?

Maybe because recent power work on kernel is POWER oriented, where fsqrt
is define since POWER4.  However some more recent freescale chips (such
as e5500 and e6500) also decided to not add fsqrt instruction.

With GCC you can check for _ARCH_PPCSQ to see if current arch flags
allows fsqrt.  From runtine I presume programs can check for hwcap bit
PPC_FEATURE_POWER4, however it does not help on non-POWER chips which
do support fsqrt.

Another option and a bit hacky would issue fsqrt and trap on SIGILL...