Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 23:00:45 +0000
From: "LeMay, Michael" <michael.lemay@...el.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: [RFC] Support for segmentation-hardened SafeStack

Hi,

I submitted several patches to LLVM and Clang to harden SafeStack using segmentation on x86-32 [1].  See [2] for general background on SafeStack.  On Linux, I have been testing my compiler changes with a modified version of musl.  I currently plan to submit my musl patches if and when the prerequisite LLVM and Clang patches are accepted.  One of my LLVM patches depends on the details of my musl patches, which is the main reason that I am sending this RFC now.

Specifically, https://reviews.llvm.org/D19762 assumes that the unsafe stack pointer is stored at offset 0x24 in the musl thread control block.  This would be between the pid and tsd_used variables that are currently defined.  I also propose storing the base address of the unsafe stack at offset 0x28, but the compiler would not depend on that.

Here is an overview of some other changes that I plan to propose with my musl patches:

The segmentation-hardened SafeStack support would be enabled with a new configuration option, "--enable-safe-stack".

When this is enabled, many libraries routines require that both a safe stack and an unsafe stack be available.  I modified _start_c in crt1.c to temporarily setup a small, pre-allocated unsafe stack for the early initialization routines to use.  I also made similar changes in dlstart.c.  A larger unsafe stack is allocated and setup later from either __libc_start_main or __dls3, depending on whether static or dynamic linking is used.  I split __dls3 so that it only performs minimal initialization before allocating the larger unsafe stack and then performing the rest of its work in a new __dls4 function.

After the larger unsafe stack is allocated, I invoke the modify_ldt syscall to insert a segment descriptor with a limit that is below the beginning of the safe stacks.  I load that segment descriptor into the DS and ES segment registers to block memory accesses to DS and ES from accessing the safe stacks.  One purpose of my LLVM and Clang patches is to insert the necessary segment override prefixes to direct accesses to the appropriate segments.

Many instructions expect that argc, argv, the environment, and auxv are accessible in the DS and ES segments.
These are stored on the initial stack, which is above the limit of the restricted DS and ES segments.  I annotated auxv with an attribute to cause the compiler to emit SS segment-override prefixes when accessing auxv.  I copied the other data to the heap, which is accessible in DS and ES.

I modified the pthread routines to allocate and deallocate additional stacks as needed in the appropriate memory ranges.  The safe stacks are allocated at high addresses so that they are above the limit of the modified DS and ES segments.  The unsafe stack for each new thread is allocated below its TLS region and thread control block, which is where the stack is currently located by default.

The Linux vDSO code may be incompatible with programs that enable segmentation-hardened SafeStack.  For example, it may allocate data on the safe stack and then attempt to access it in DS or ES, which would result in an exception due to the segment limit violation.  My patches prevent the vDSO from being invoked when segmentation-hardened SafeStack is enabled.

Finally, the i386 __clone implementation is written in assembly language, so the compiler is unable to automatically add a stack segment override prefix to an instruction in that routine that accesses a safe stack.  I added that prefix manually in the source code.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-May/100346.html