Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 21:49:15 +0200
From: Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dirname() / basename() - musl vs FreeBSD and OpenBSD

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 09:12:49PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I came across a very strange problem when I ports code from OpenBSD to
>> musl-libc, and it seems, that a lot of problems can be caused by
>> dirname().
>>
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/dirname.html
>>
>> "The dirname() function >>> may <<< modify the string pointed to by
>> path, and may return a pointer to static storage that may then be
>> overwritten by subsequent calls to dirname()."
>
> There is actually no other option for implementing this function. The
> contract does not require that the argument string be a valid pathname
> or have a bounded length like PATH_MAX; it operates on general
> strings. And "No errors are defined", so failure is not an option. The
> only way to implement this function is for it to modify its argument.

Thank you for your answer. dirname() and basename() in OpenBSD compare
length against PATH_MAX:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/lib/libc/gen/dirname.c?rev=1.15

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/lib/libc/gen/basename.c?rev=1.15

So if someone uses the code from OpenBSD/FreeBSD needs to be careful
not to use the argument after dirname() or basename().

Best regards,
Daniel