Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:23:36 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@...too.org>, Khem Raj <raj.khem@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Dynamic linker name

>> > Powerpc can be little endian as well but it can wait the arm patch as well.
>>
>> I've only seen powerpc64le; don't know if 32-bit powerpc doesn't
>> support little endian.
>
> There are a couple things you should know about musl's support for
> powerpc64 which mean you probably shouldn't add it.
>
> Two different ABIs exist for powerpc64.  The new one is sometimes called
> powerpc64le.  While it's typically used on little endian, there's no
> reason it can't be used on big endian systems as well.  Musl only
> supports the new ABI, but supports it for both big and little endian.
> The arch names used by musl for them are:

I just did a quick search; are these two ABIs called "ppc64 elf" and
"ppc64 elf v2" respectively?

> Last I checked, clang only supported using IBM double-double for long
> double on powerpc64.  If this is still true, then clang cannot match
> musl's ABI on powerpc64.

I think powerpc64 needs no special handling anyway (unlike ARM); it
just happens to be supported by the patch. OTOH, do you think I should
*explicitly* disallow clang being configured against musl when
targeting powerpc64? I can put that logic in my next patch if it makes
sense.

Thanks,
Lei