Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:37:16 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: recvmsg/sendmsg broken on mips64

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 10:35:22PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:33:07AM +0200, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:

> > >OK, I'll try this.

> > >That would be really helpful. Something's wrong with the userspace for
> > >the Aboriginal mips64 binaries (SIGBUS in init) and debugging that
> > >would be a big distraction.
> > >
> > >BTW do you have gdb and strace available?
> > not on the system itself. i'm not sure if strace works on mips64.
> > never tried it.
> > but you're free to copy any binary to the /tmp dir. it has 2 gb ram.
> > so enough space for static binaries if you want to play with.
> > i will send you the ssh data in a private email
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce the error on your system. I've tried
> building my own static-linked version of the "ip" utility with a
> mips64-linux-musl softfloat compiler, and uploading my libc.so and
> using it to run both your version of ip and a dynamic-linked one I
> just built. They all work fine for adding/removing a 127.0.0.2 address
> to the "lo" interface.
>
> Next I'm going to try to get a minimal testcase that tries to
> intentionally misalign the control message buffers. I suspect I'm just
> "getting lucky" and my buffer happens to be aligned the way the kernel
> wants by chance.

I've managed to track down the cause of the breakage. Somehow your
iproute2 has been miscompiled. What I did was add debug logic to
libc.so to print the contents of the msghdr struct passed in before
fixups, after fixups, and after the syscall. The output I got was:

msghdr: 0xffffd58e08 12 0xffffd58df8 1 0 0 0 0 0
msghdr: 0xffffd58e08 12 0xffffd58df8 0 0 0 0 0 0
msghdr: 0xffffd58e08 12 0xffffd58df8 0 0 0 0 0 32

The fields (including __pad1 and __pad2) are printed in order. So as
you can see, ip passed in a structure with a 1 in __pad1 and a 0 in
msg_iovlen. The source (libnetlink.c) stores 1 to msg_iovlen, so my
guess is that somehow it ended up getting the wrong-endian version of
the structure definition. You could confirm this by adding #error to
the little-endian case in arch/mips64/bits/socket.h and recompiling. I
suspect it's going to take some additional work to track down the
cause, which is likely specific to something in your toolchain (it
didn't happen for me when I built my own iproute2).

In case you or anyone else would like to use the struct dumping in
testing, or just understand precisely what it's printing, I'm
attaching the patch I used.

Rich

View attachment "recvmsg-dumper.diff" of type "text/plain" (847 bytes)