Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:31:11 +0100
From: u-uy74@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl licensing

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:14:04AM -0700, Christopher Lane wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2016 1:18 AM, <u-uy74@...ey.se> wrote:
> > So this is actually all about which party shall take the risks,
> > musl or Google. Isn't it?
>
> This isn't about shoveling risk from Google to musl.  We want musl to be a
> clear and unambiguously licensable product so we can use it.  Incidentally,

To make it clear - this was not about your personal position or the
position of your group. It is about the position of Google's lawers.

> figuring out the licensing stuff here is a large distraction for our team
> (and we knew it would be), but we're willing to put in the time and effort
> because we think it's beneficial for the open source community overall, and
> because it's ethically correct. This isn't just CYA, and it's not some
> nefarious scheme.

I did not suggest that this is "nefarious", this is just a plain and
prudent business motivation.

Nothing wrong with CYA, which is the layers' role in this case,
but the other party (musl) should be prudent as well.

Regards,
Rune