Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:08:47 -0500
From: Max Ruttenberg <mruttenberg@...technology.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Enforcing expected ordering of operations on stdout,
 stdin, and stderr

> fflush(stdout);
> This is more of a basic C thing than a libc ml thing. You should
> consider picking up a copy of The C Programming Language by Kernighan
> and Ritchie. It will explain all of this.

I know about fflush, thanks.

Consider this program:

int main()
{
   char buff[2];
   puts("enter a character");
   buff[0] = getchar();
   buff[1] = '\0';
   puts(buff);
   return 0;
}

If I compile that on linux-amd64, with or without musl, I will see "enter a
character" printed to my console and then be prompted for a character, as
opposed to the other way around. I don't know if this is formally
guaranteed by the C standard, but somehow that order seems to be
maintained.

But if I grep the source code in musl/src/stdio for "fflush" I don't see a
bunch of calls to fflush. I see a call to it in fclose and freopen... but
that's neither surprising nor helpful. If I do the same in
musl/src/internal I also don't get anything. I've even tried just greping
for "flush."

And yet somehow the order is maintained within those calls to puts and
getchar. So what I'm asking is: how? What part of the internal musl source
even attempts to enforce that ordering? I know the calling application can
do it with calls to fflush, but somehow that doesn't seem to be necessary
short of a signal interrupting the expected flow of execution. Am I just
getting lucky 100% of the time or is there some source in the stdio library
that's enforcing this?

--
Max Ruttenberg,
Member of the Technical Staff