Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:22:47 +0100
From: u-uy74@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: setcontext/getcontext/makecontext missing?

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 10:41:38AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> There's been some interest in adding them and they were on a long-term
> goal list, but I'm not sure it makes sense anymore. All the major
> users of this API have been moving _off_ of it, because it's
> deprecated and impossible to use correctly - see the rationale here:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/makecontext.html

Just for the record, nevertheless it is a pity to lose them.

In my experience the ucontext-based implementation of user-space threads
suits/works best for Coda file system, even though Coda can use an
alternative pthread-based implementation of the needed threading layer.

Pthreads feels like an overkill, hardly efficient when all one needs
is cooperative threading designed from the beginning to fit in one
process.

Still this probably does not justify putting effort in adding this
(apparently non-compliant) API to musl. Sigh.

Regards,
Rune