Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:32:48 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for out-of-tree build

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 01:39:44AM +0000, Petr Hosek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
>
> > I get:
> >
> > make: *** No rule to make target `obj/include/bits', needed by
> > `obj/include/bits/alltypes.h'.  Stop.
> >
> > I think this is because $(dir...) intentionally leaves the trailing
> > slash, so you have to remove it to get the desired behavior.
> >

> I'm not sure why I don't see the same behavior in my setting, but I used
> make -p and you're correct, $(dir ...) leaves the trailing slashes.
>

> > First I tried:
> >
> > OBJ_DIRS = $(sort $(patsubst %/,%,$(dir $(ALL_LIBS) $(ALL_TOOLS) $(OBJS)
> > $(GENH) $(GENH_INT))) $(addprefix obj/, crt crt/$(ARCH) include))
> >
> > but this does not seem to be sufficient, because of:
> >
> > $(OBJS) $(LOBJS): | $(sort $(dir $(OBJS)))
> >
> > Adding patsubst there would work too, but I wonder if it even makes
> > sense to have fine-grained dir dependencies, rather than just making
> > all the targets in this section of the makefile depend on $(OBJ_DIRS).
> > Thoughts?
> >

> I've used the approach you suggested yesterday over IRC which simplifies
> the Makefile a bit.
>

> > ../configure: Makefile already exists in the working directory
> >
> > This isn't what I would expect either. Normally you want to be able to
> > re-run configure with different options. There's probably a little bit
> > of subtlety here because we would like to avoid overwriting an actual
> > file (if somebody copied and edited a makefile here) but happily
> > replace a symlink.
> >

> I've expanded the check to cover both the existing file and symlink case.
>

> > Aside from these issues it seems to be okay/working for me. I'd
> > appreciate comments from anyone else who's tried it.
> >

> I've been using the previous version in my setup for about two weeks now
> and haven't found any further issue but I'd like to hear from others if
> they found any issues.

Hi again Petr!

Sorry it's taken so long to get around to actually committing this.
I've had a lot keeping me busy aside from musl, and was waiting both
to get some feedback from other users and to have a good chance to try
it out in real-world usage myself.

The good news is that everything looks fine. I've got my own
foreign-arch builds all converted over to build from my main source
tree, which is going to greatly reduce my frustration of having
in-progress cruft (that was later finished elsewhere) sitting around
in different cloned trees.

As such I've committed/pushed your patch. If anything else turns up
that should be fixed/improved that can be done later but I'm quite
happy with what we've got now. Thanks for all your work on it and your
patience with the process.