Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 20:19:28 +0000
From: Petr Hosek <phosek@...omium.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for out-of-tree build

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> BTW could you refrain from top posting on the list? Even if you just
> have a short reply that's in regards to the whole quoted message
> rather than specific points to address inline, things get awkward to
> follow in a hurry (just like now) when somebody else replies to you
> but also wants to keep the quoted content you were replying to as
> context (like below).

Yes, I'm sorry about that, that's the default configuration I use in my
mail client, but I'll avoid it on the list.

> Discussion on irc, along with some basic testing, showed that this
> does not work. The obvious solution with $(subst ...) also does not
> work because it's plausible that $(srcdir) also contains the substring
> /$(ARCH)/, in which case it would get messed up. However I did find a
> form that seems to work reliably and that's not hideous:
>
> $(patsubst %,$(srcdir)/%,$(subst /$(ARCH)/,/,$(patsubst
> $(srcdir)/%,%,$(ARCH_OBJS))))
>
> That yields the list of object files to filter out, which can then be
> passed into $(filter-out ...).

I've reworked the patch following our discussion on IRC by placing all
object files into a directory which enables the use of implicit rules. The
rest of the logic is similar to what you proposed as well as to my previous
patches: constructing the list of objects and then filtering out files for
which (sub)architecture versions are available.

Content of type "text/html" skipped

View attachment "support-out-of-tree-build.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (13623 bytes)