Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:10:24 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for out-of-tree build

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2015-11-12 15:30:48 -0500]:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:17:05PM +0000, Petr Hosek wrote:
> > There is one other issue with the VPATH solution which I just realized
> > while trying to make changes to the original patch: the order-only
> > dependencies don't work with VPATH because the directories already exist
> > the source directory, so we'd need to use the solution with .dirstamps.
>
> Alternatively, configure could be responsible for making the skeleton
> tree at the same time it puts a Makefile in the build dir. I don't
> know if I like this approach but it's achievable with a simple find
> command.

that only works if no new source directories are added after configure.

> I'm still uncertain which approach (VPATH or non-VPATH) we should
> take, so I'm trying to reason through the consequences of both.

depends on if we change the src/dir/arch layout and sub handling.

if we dont change anything then i think vpath with dirstamps is
the cleanest solution.

it might be worth looking at how well make handles generated rules
with foreach (instead of %.o patterns), then we can use whatever
directory layout and precedence rules.